My Home Library
Many people always ask me which chefs, recipe books and documentaries I recommend. Below is a list of materials close to my heart that I own (otherwise I wouldn't put them in) and that have greatly helped me on my own personal raw journey. I have even put a short blurb next to the book to let you know what I thought of it. These authors are people I admire and respect and who I consider to be 'Rawthentically' and positively impacting the raw food lifestyle in a very relatable way. I will update this list as I grow and evolve down the road on my own raw food path. I hope you enjoy my home library as much as I do!
Books that I personally own and love: These are sitting in my book shelf!
Creating Healthy Children by Karen Ranzi (theory and benefits of raw foods lifestyle and recipes)
- In my opinion, is the most caring, comprehensive, well researched book ever written for parents wanting to raise healthy well adjusted children. Karen is extremely knowledgeable and this book, or parenting 'bible' is something all parents should be equip with to understand 'real' nutrition in young children.
Evie's Kitchen by Shazzie (theory and benefits of raw foods lifestyle and recipes - Excellent section on supplementation for young children and beyond)
- Shazzie kindly shares how she is raising her daughter Evie and offers an abundance of helpful information and recipes, a brilliant and insightful read.
Baby Greens: A Live-Food Approach For Children of All Ages by Michaela Lynn and Michael Chrisemer, N.C.
- This is highly recommended by Gabriel Cousens and I can see why! It is an incredibly informative book that has helped me with my own son and that I would highly recommend to any parent, or care giver also!
A note from me: Please note that in raising the healthiest child/ children possible it is important that as mothers/ fathers/ care givers we do our research and do not get caught up in 'my child has to only eat raw food dogma.' It is important that we recognize that children have different developmental needs from adults and this must be taken into consideration, which is why we supplement and do what we feel is appropriate for our son. Of course, the more raw food the better for our little ones! Incorporating some nutritiously prepared organic cooked plant based foods (using coconut oil to 'cook' with) works well in our family alongside a variety of raw foods. The three books above have greatly helped me with my first son because they are so well researched and packed full of information, which I personally found to be tremendously helpful as a new mum.
Green For Life by Victoria Boutenko
- Learn the truth about green leafy vegetables and how they can change your life - Victoria and her family are truly amazing.
Green Smoothie Revolution by Victoria Boutenko
- This was my first 'raw' food book and the green smoothie recipes in this book is what started it all for us!
Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine by Gabriel Cousens, MD
- Scientific research mixed with recipes for adults and children/ babies from the chef's at The Tree of Life, AZ makes this a staple in our house.
Elaina Love's Pure Joy Kitchen Vol. 1 and Vol 2. by Elaina Love (Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are 'two' separate books) AMAZING!!
- Elaina is an innovative, passionate, incredibly talented and accessible master raw food chef/ educator and was an instructor at Living Light for 11 years before opening up her own Culinary School, Pure Joy Culinary Academy, which I will be attending for a whole month being taught by Elaina Love personally this September!
RAWvolution by Matt Amsden
- Matt is an amazing raw food chef and I love his clever creations. Matt and his wife Janabai own the beautiful "Euphoria Loves Rawvolution" cafe in Santa Monica.
Living Raw Foods by Sarma Melngailis
- Sarma owns and operates the incredible Pure Food & Wine restaurant in NYC and her book has taught me alot about raw food preparation and raw gourmet food - Brilliant recipes!
Ani's Raw Food by Ani Phyo
- Ani presents food in such a fun, fresh and easy way and a lot of her recipes, I find are simple and quick to make. She is just wonderful!
Ani's Raw Food Asia: Easy East-West Fusion Recipes The Raw Food Way by Ani Phyo
- A beautifully presented recipe book with nutritional facts, techniques and in my opinion Ani's best raw food dishes to date. Super yummy and no fuss!
Raw Family Signature Dishes by Victoria Boutenko
- For anyone who is new to raw foods and would like a step-by-step picture presentation of making food this is a thoroughly helpful book of delicious recipes.
Eating For Beauty by David Wolfe (theory and benefits of raw foods and recipes) ◦ If you have ever wondered about how raw foods and superfoods can benefit you from the inside out this is a must-read read based on current scientific research.
Superfoods by David Wolfe (theory and benefits of raw foods and recipes)
- In my opinion, David is the worlds #1 nutritional guru and this is the most in-depth book ever written on 'superfoods' and how empowering they are for human health.
I Am Grateful by Terces Engelhart - Cafe Gratitude
- This amazing cafe in San Francisco offers their incredibly mouth watering recipes so that we can recreate at home. I am so grateful!
Sweet Gratitude by Matthew Rogers and Tiziana Alipo Tamborra - Cafe Gratitude
- This is; in my opinion, hands down the best raw vegan desserts recipe book to date. It will take your sweet treats to a whole new level. I adore this book.
Every Day Raw by Matthew Kenney
- I am a huge fan of Matthew Kenney; the founder of The Matthew Kenney Academy, formerly known as 105 Degrees and believe he is a raw vegan culinary artist genius! A fantastic book for staple delicious food for the every day and more!
Every Day Raw Express: Recipes In 30 Minutes Or Less by Matthew Kenney
- A great book that has been simply laid out for those times when you need to make something in a pinch and don't have time for 'fancy.' Easy recipes!
The Raw Food Revolution Diet by Cherie Soria, Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina (theory and benefits of the raw food lifestyle, weight loss and recipes)
The China Study by T. Colin Campbell PhD (note a recipe book)
- A bible when it comes to teaching yourself all about how to make raw foods! This book is by the founder of Living Light Institute and is a staple in our home.
- This is the book that started it all for me and is the greatest nutritional study ever conducted. An absolute eye-opener and a must-read!
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer (not a recipe book)
- The story of a new parent, like myself, just wanting to find out where his child's food comes from that turned out to be an 'uncovering' every parent should know about.
Food Inc. from Robert Kenner
- Along with the China Study, this was the video that started it all for me. It led to the many questions I had about where our food came from.
Food Matters from Producer-Directors James Colquhoun and Laurentine ten Bosch
- With nutritionally-depleted foods, chemical additives and our tendency to rely upon pharmaceutical drugs to treat what's wrong with our malnourished bodies, it's no wonder that modern society is getting sicker. Food Matters sets about uncovering the trillion dollar worldwide 'sickness industry' and gives people some scientifically verifiable solutions for overcoming illness naturally.
Feelin' Fun With Raw Foods with Aaron Ash
- I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron when my family and I were in Vancouver BC in 2010. His restaurant 'Gorilla Food' is such a cosy and amazing place and Aaron's food creations are deliciously spectacular! I highly recommend visiting 'Gorilla Food' if you are in the area - we will definitely be back!